Monday, August 28, 2006

Kelsey and Saturday

Ah, at long last last, some clarification on that story from Saturday night:

So, Kelsey Seale was flying back into town on Saturday afternoon - from Germany. She's crazy: she missed the first week of classes for a study abroad thing over there. I can't blame her, per se, but nevertheless it's still going to be fun to tease her about - in roughly three months when the stress from it is finally gone.

In any case, she was supposed to arrive at 3:17 pm. Well, at about 2:15 or so I got a call from her saying, "Hey, we had to set down in Canada for a medical emergency, so I missed my connecting flight, so I'm getting rerouted on a flight through Memphis back to OKC tonight." Okay, cool. I turn around and drive back to the dorms, and do homework the rest of the afternoon (well, sort of - I had a hard time focusing). I head back over to the airport that evening, driving through silly Oklahoma weather. [Hey, let's be raining! Half a mile later: hey, let's be completely dry! Repeat verbatim at least 4 times.] It was an awesome storm. Which sucked, overall.

I get to the airport, and am trying to go see if I can preemptively deal with getting her luggage for her, as it theoretically might have come through more quickly than she did - except the other flight it would have come through on also got significantly delayed, but by the storm. In the midst of checking on all this - all moot anyway, since the Northwest Airlines baggage office never got opened that night - I hear to my surprise that the flight is now supposed to get in at 8:34. Cool!

Next thing you know, my cell phone starts dying. Take note; this is important! A couple minutes after it dies (and the plane theoretically should have gotten there), we start hearing notices that one flight from Dallas-Ft. Worth got turned around and sent back thanks to the storm. Oh, joy. And the minutes are ticking by. I'm figuring, "Hey, storm, it'll push them back a bit." When a bit is 9:10, which is 20 minutes after originally scheduled arrival and 35 after the updated ETA, I go downstairs to talk to a baggage guy and check on this again. He checks, lets me know they got rerouted to Dallas-Ft. Worth. Right as I'm walking away from him, the lights flicker, and go out - after a second they come back on. On backup generator power (most of the people in the airport missed figuring that out). Fun. And even though a NA flight has come in, there's still no one in the baggage claim office for them, which is annoying.

I figure I need to get in touch with Kelsey - but my phone is at that annoying point where you turn it on, it gives you about four seconds, and then turns itself back off. So I borrow someone else's phone, manage to use it to call her, find out they've set down at Dallas-Ft. Worth, and are waiting for a decision on whether they're going to refuel or have them disembark and get on other planes to get to OKC. At that point, I decide I need to get in touch with people back in Norman (my roommate and her roommates) to let them know what's going on, so I keep borrowing the guy's phone - much appreciated by this point - to call Katie and Dean. And then I wait. Keep checking the baggage claim - no one ever actually shows up, to my annoyance - and all that. I try to pull out my phone to check for messages and suddenly it's showing a lot more battery. I'm growling and grumpy at my phone by now, because it's so inconsistent. I call my family, let them know what's up and to keep praying over it all.

And then I just go upstairs and wait, scanning every flight as it gets in. Hers finally arrives at about 11:00, I guess, maybe a little after, since I see her walking toward me at 11:10. Yay! Then we think about the baggage situation for a bit and decide to just drive home - no point not to, b/c the baggage just wasn't going to be there, period. So we get her back, the girls feed her (and me, despite my protests that I hadn't any need for them to feed me), and then I go get some sleep so I can still be functional at church in the morning. Yeah. Craziness. I feel more bad for her than me, though, given she was in airports or on planes for a solid 24+ hours. All I had to do was wait in an airport for 3.5 hr. :p

Anyways, back to homework for me. God bless!

- Chris

0 responses:

Post a Comment

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.